Wednesday, February 14, 2007

New Idea: Travel Guide Portal (to be named later)

It seems that whenever I have some free time coming up and I want to spend time working on one of my “projects” (in this case MyVoteforPrez.com) I get another idea that consumes me for a few months until the next great idea pops into my head. This scenario played out big time when I took some time off around New Years. I put The People’s Ticket on the shelf to create JessesGadgets.com. I’m taking off next week from work and I still plan on making MyVoteforPrez.com usable. The big thing will be setting up the voting tracking and displaying the results on a map.
However I had another idea today that I'd love to develop and hopefully will in the near future. I'd like to create a website where users can select and display information such as news, events, driving directions etc.. for different cities and places they plan on visiting in a portal-type layout . I thought of this idea while travelling to Philadelphia for work last year. I thought it would be great to have a one-stop shop website for everything related to my travel to and within Philadelphia. For example, my Amtrak train information, my car rental information, my hotel address and directions, my work address and directions with a stop along the way to pick up Dunkin Donuts coffee and general Philadelphia local news and upcoming events. I would like the layout to look similar to Google Personalized Homepage for each city/trip.
I think a site like this could also be monetized because contextual regional ads would show up in each city/trip personalized page. Maybe this will follow in the footsteps of one of the coolest sites I've ever seen, SeatGuru.com, and get big enough to warrant full time employees.
I'm still thinking of a name for the website. Recommendations are welcome.

No comments: