Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Rent Calculator Gadget (Web Application) Update

I've been a little busy the past few days so I haven't been able to make too much time outside of my real work responsibilities and errands for my "side" projects. I did make a little progress on the Rent Calculator Gadget I'm developing for JessesGadgets.com.
A little bit of history about the Rent Calculator...when my two roommates and I moved into our apartment in Hoboken a little over a year ago we split up the rent, parking spot and bills. My roommate Mike took the parking spot and the master bedroom so he has the highest base rent payment (static cost). He also took over the Utility bill (variable cost). I took the reins on the Cable/Internet/Phone bill (variable cost) and Jesse had only his base rent payment to worry about every month. The first month it took the three of us very intelligent human beings wayyyyyyy too much time to figure out how to deduct the variable costs from each of our base rent payments so we could even things out with our montly rent check. That day I sat down and programmed a simple MS Access Form with some Visual Basic logic to figure out each of our payments based on the amonts of the variable costs. We have trusted the rent calculator to calculate our monthly payments ever since.
I decided to make a web based version of the Rent Calculator for all to use and enjoy. It's not 100% done yet, I still have to work on calculating the final rent payment figures dynamically but you can check out the progress at the following link. As of now I developed everything using PHP and HTML forms to allow users to enter the # of roommates and bills and select which roommate is responsible for paying each bill.

No comments: