Monday, January 22, 2007

New Idea for Facebook Product (Developer APIs)

I'm still working on a few tweaks for JessesGadgets.com including an online version of my "Rent Calculator" program which will figure out adjusted rent payments after bills are paid seperately. For example if you live with 2 other people and one person pays the cable bill, another pays the electricity bill...you'll be able to plug in those values and find out how much you each should pay in rent at the end of the month to balance out the other bill payments.
Another project I'll be starting soon (this week hopefully) is a new custom Facebook "gadget" which I will work into the JessesGadgets site. Facebook makes some developer APIs available and there is a library of some nice products that developers have created. There are even some PHP client libraries available which should make development fairly easy.

I saw a really cool Facebook application called MoochSpot which keeps track of debts and shared expenses among Facebook friends in a consolidated fashion. MoochSpot gave me the idea for an application I'm initally calling "KissNet." The idea is you can indicate which of your Facebook friends you have kissed. Then you can view who you have "kissed" indirectly through your kisses. It's kind of like six degrees of seperation but for kissing. I'm still working on the details of whether I should publish how users have indirectly kissed each other and how many levels of seperation to show and whether to use some kind of recursion to create the kissing links. Is creating an application like "KissNet" like playing with fire? Probably...let the games begin.

No comments: